Description: Understand the basics of a PESTLE analysis; develop and present an infographic of a PESTLE analysis.
Target audience: all college level students
General goals/objectives: reading, writing, presenting
- understand the basics of a PESTLE analysis;
- develop and present an infographic of a PESTLE analysis.
Materials needed for activity: (check the following)
- internet access
- BYOD (Bring Your Own Device - smartphone, tablet)
Time: 270 minutes
Overview: Read background information on PESTLE analyses, conduct research on a company, create an infographic, present it.
Have Ss learn about a PESTLE analysis and read through the sample (see links in the activities for the background information).
Ss conduct research for their own PESTLE analysis. It is important to help them understand what reliable sources are for this research.
- Discuss the popularity of infographics and why they are a useful way to summarise information. Perhaps do a Google search for infographics of different types.
- Ss develop an infographic (samples provided) that summarise their analysis.
- Optional: they can present the infographic to the others in class.
|Reception / Reading||Reading for orientation||Can scan longer texts in order to locate desired information, and gather information from different parts of a text to fulfill a specific task (adapted B1+)|
|Production / Speaking||Addressing audiences||Can give a prepared straightforward presentation on a familiar topic which is clear enough to be followed without difficulty most of the time, and in which the main points are explained with reasonable precision (adapted B1)|
- Conduct a PESTLE analysis on a company of your choice. Detailed step-by-step instructions and a worksheet download are available here. Your research can be based on reliable sources such as: governmental websites, newspaper articles, market research reports, and interviews with experts. Use this sample PESTLE analysis of TESCO as a guide.
- Present your PESTLE analysis in an infographic using a tool such as Canva. Here is a good guide to follow and some dos and donts. Here are some samples: