Description: Understand a speaker’s personal response to hospital food, discern between fact and opinion about food.
Target audience: all college level students
General goals/objectives: listening comprehension
- understand a speaker’s personal response to hospital food, discerning between fact and opinion about food
Materials needed for activity: (check the following)
X internet access _projector X speakers _ printout _ BYOD (Bring Your Own Device - smartphone, tablet)
_ other: __________________
Time: 20 minutes
Overview: Listen to audio clip and fill in the table.
- Introduce concepts of fact/opinion. Elicit examples.
- Pre-teach any necessary vocabulary from the audio clip (script can be accessed through the link in the activity).
- Explain context of audio clip: someone is being asked about their opinion of hospital food.
- Show the phrases in the table and explain that these will be used in the person’s answer.
- Play the clip and have the Ss mark the ‘fact’ or ‘opinion’ column.
- As a summary, discuss the contextual factors/language that led them to their decisions.
- How often do you eat fast food? Why?
- You are what you eat...or are you?
- Vegan? Vegetarian? What’s the difference?
- The road to veganism
|Reception / Listening||Listening as a member of a live audience||Can follow in outline straightforward short talks on familiar topics provided these are delivered in clearly articulated standard speech (B1)|
|Reception / Listening||Listening to audio||Can understand the main points of radio news bulletins and simpler recorded material about familiar subjects delivered relatively slowly and clearly (B1)|
|Production / Writing||Overall written production||Can write simple isolated phrases and sentences (A1)|
|Production / Writing||Creative writing||Can write very short, basic descriptions of events, past activities and personal experiences (A2+)|
|Production / Speaking||Overall spoken production||Can give a simple description or presentation as a short series of simple phrases and sentences linked into a list (adapted A2)|
|Interaction / Spoken||Overall spoken interaction||Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters (adapted A2)|
Listen to this audio clip of Barbara discussing her response to hospital food. Mark each of the items below as fact or opinion.
|‘They didn’t let me eat anything.’|
|‘I was dreaming about my mother’s cooking.’|
|‘I actually felt fine.’|
|‘I’ve lost 20 kilos’|
|‘I feel much better’|
|‘[Being] sick was probably a good thing’|